Your CPD points rules and requirements
Every year you need to earn continuing professional development (CPD) units - to maintain your practising certificate, keep up-to-date with legislative changes and improve your ‘business of law’ knowledge.
How to earn CPD units with Legalwise Seminars
Whether you're a solicitor or any other professional needing legal information, Legalwise Seminars offer you a host of opportunities to gain the CPD hours you need each year to comply with your professional development obligations. These include:
- attending face-to-face legal seminars and conferences
- watching and listening to legal seminars live via the internet
- preparing and presenting law seminars.
New Zealand has its own rules and regulations
From 1 April 2014, The Lawyers and Conveyancers Act (Lawyers:Ongoing Legal Education - Continuing Professional Development) Rules 2013 come into force for the first full CPD year. The Rules require that all New Zealand Lawyers must, during each CPD year (1 April to 31 March) complete mandatory continuing professional development, unless they qualify for an exemption, by completing a course of education which satisfies the following requirements:
- The course must be relevant to a practitioner's immediate or long term needs in relation to the practitioner's professional development and to the practice of law.
- All New Zealand lawyers must develop and manintain a written CPD Plan and Record (CPDPR) and reflect on evaluate what they have achieved through those activities.
- Lawyers providing regulated services are required to complete 10 hours of related CPD activities each year.
- A practitioner's engagement in a course of continuing professional development which satisfies the requirements, will entitile the practitioner to one (1) CPD unit for each hour of participation in the course.
- Excess CPD units accrued in a CPD year may be carried forward to the next year, up to a maximum of five (5) excess hours may be carried forward.
- On 31 March each year, declarations of compliance with the CPD requirements must be lodged with the Law Society within 5 working days.
sign up to our updates
To keep informed of our upcoming seminars that are right for you
"Excellent, very thought provoking with great notes to reference later"
Delagate - Public Law and Local Government – Auckland, March 2017
,Read more testimonials